Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Random Thought on Athletics

Why is it that as a society, we generally treat athletes as though their, pardon the phrase, "shit don't stink"?

I mean looking at the list of newest additions to The Order of Canada, Mario Lemmieux? Seriously?? He was a great hockey player, that is undeniable (although I really didn't like watching him play). Yet, what did he do to prove he "desires a better country" other than leave Canada? If that is ALL one has to do to earn the Order of Canada, let me get a job in Philly and I'm a shoe in for the next induction.

Or is it because he brought a Stanley Cup to Pittsburgh? If so, Crosby should be inducted already, along with Malkin, etc. Hell once the Leafs finally win a cup I'll expect to see the entire team inducted.

Another gripe on this line: The RBC ads about "putting athletes first since 19??" I mean why should I keep my money in their bank then just so I can be a second class citizen to some people who happen to be good at sports?

At this rate I'd be tempted to ground my children if they touched a book instead of working on their slapshot. Except I'd rather have intelligent kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment